Summary: Learn about the health benefits of yoga that inspire to take up the practice on a regular basis.
For years, hardcore yoga practitioners have been praising the yoga’s mental and physical powers. The regular practice of yoga reward the practitioners with wonderful physical and mental benefits such as increased strength, enhanced flexibility, lower stress levels, and so much more. And, on the spiritual level, it teaches us the divine art of mindful living, enhances our perception regarding the worldview and re-connects us with our authentic self.
The practice of yoga postures, meditation, and breathing techniques on a regular basis can transform your life in radical ways. From allowing you to alter your bad habits to granting you with positivity and improving the quality of your breath that stimulates the functioning of the cells, yoga is a storehouse of wonderful benefits that rewards the practitioner with a harmonized mind, body, and soul. Luckily, a few minutes of a dedicated yoga practice can alter your health in unexpected ways.
Learning and understanding how yoga heals your body and helps in keeping sickness at bay shall motivate you to step onto your yoga mat. Here are some of the most amazing health benefits of yoga:
- Aids In Weight Loss: Extra pounds of weight in certain areas like waist, hips, and stomach is a major concern for many people. The ardent desire to get that perfect shape to be able to fit in the sleek dress makes us resort to multiple options like crash dieting, excessive burnouts, and what not. However, yoga is one such effective tool that promotes weight loss using the body science in the most natural and humane ways. The practice of various yoga postures, breathing exercises aids in toning the body by boosting the metabolic system and burning the fat. Also, yoga reduces stress, strengthens the mind-body connection ensuring we make healthy and conscious eating choices.
- Strengthens The Immune System: The science of yoga boosts the immune system by nourishing the blood cells, decreasing the production of stress hormones, and stimulating the lymphatic system that protects our body from the harmful toxins and its ill effects. The proper functioning of the lymphatic system is effective in destroying the cancerous cells. The practice of downward facing dog pose, upward facing dog poses, and cobra pose is considered highly effective in enhancing the immunity of a person.
- Perfects Posture: We are often reminded as kids, to maintain a perfect posture as it is beneficial in many ways: decreases stress on the joints, prevents rounding of the spine, and reduces muscular pain. Misalignment is a major cause of poor spine health, bad posture, back ache, neck pain, and degenerative arthritis. The practice of yoga postures strengthens the core muscles of the back so that the spine can achieve a neutral position. The practice of balancing postures prevents back injury and backache.The toned muscles result in a perfect posture and make you look tall and smart.
- Improves Flexibility: Greater flexibility is one of the most inspiring benefits of the science of yoga that motivates several individuals to take up the yoga practice. During your first-ever yoga session, you probably won’t be able to touch your toes, let alone do a backbend. But with consistent practice, you shall notice that you are able to perform seemingly impossible poses with greater ease. Your muscles have loosened up and pain and aches start to disappear. The science awakens your body from its core.
- Lowers Blood Pressure: Hypertension is a major cause of many heart diseases and other ailments. Yoga is a safe and natural alternative to the pills for lowering the blood levels. Practice yoga along with pranayama on a regular basis to control your rising blood pressure.
- Insomnia Buster: The modern living is plagued by stress, emotional blockages, various illnesses, and so much more that gives rise to the sleep disorder–insomnia. Yoga is one of the most effective approaches to getting a good and sound sleep in the night. The practice of yoga calms the nervous system and relaxes the body thus treating the problem of insomnia in an effective way.
- Fights Arthritis: Treat the deadly disease of arthritis with the regular practice of yoga. The practice of Iyengar yoga in which the yoga poses are modified with the help of props and are held for longer duration is effective in treating people with rheumatoid arthritis. The performance of gentle, flowing yoga poses is the perfect exercise for people with arthritis as it reduces arthritis-related pain, improves joint movement and builds muscle strength.
- Kickstarts the Parasympathetic Nervous System: The tedious life brings a myriad of stresses that activate the sympathetic nervous system. The art of yoga is a powerful tool in stimulating the parasympathetic nervous system that relaxes the brain, lowers blood pressure and enhances the functioning of the internal organs. The parasympathetic nervous system is also responsible for increasing the physical and psychological well-being of a person.
- Improves Heart Health: Hypertension, increasing stress, rising bad cholesterol levels are some of the reasons for poor heart health. The discipline of yoga is effective in reducing blood pressure, cholesterol levels, blood sugar levels and stress hormones that in turn prevents cardiac arrests. The practice of breathing exercises and meditation along with yoga postures increases lung capacity, heart rate and promotes good heart health.
- Enhances Bone Health: It is well documented that the practice of yoga postures such as a downward facing dog, upward facing dog, etc., requires the practitioner to lift their own weight that strengthens the bone and helps ward off osteoporosis. Also, researches unveil that the power of yoga in lowering stress levels can help keep calcium in the bones.
- Backache Treatment: Desk-bound jobs, lack of physical exercises, age, are some of the major causes of a backache. Multiple studies find the art of yoga to be a more potent treatment for chronic back pain than other methods of exercising and medications. The performance of yoga postures improves spinal flexibility and reduces the risk of a spinal disk problem.
- Enhances focus: If you feel your focus is wavering and you are finding it difficult to concentrate on an important task then turn to the practice of yoga. A Yoga practice involving meditation, breathing techniques, and yoga postures stabilizes the wandering mind, reduces anxiety, and enhances focus.
Yoga bestows the practitioners with innumerable benefits for both body and mind. Committing to a regular yoga practice can help you lead a much healthier and beautiful life.